lunes, 27 de febrero de 2012

Writing Contest: Ganador de la categoría Lengua III

Short story de Laura Mangold, ganadora de la categoría "Lengua III" del Writing Contest. 

She wouldn't take no for an answer

She went on thinking that her version of the facts was the only valid one. Well, I thought the same, and my version was exactly the opposite as hers. 

She was determined to make everybody believe that she wanted to put an end to our relationship. But I was the one that couldn’t stand her, the one who considered her unbearable, the one who would be disgusted by every movement she made. I told her that I was confused but it didn’t work. I pledged that it was me not her; useless. I expounded that I wasn’t looking for a serious relationship, but she wouldn’t hear any of it. Finally, I thought it necessary to break her heart: “I do not love you,” I said. But I wasn’t in the least successful. Not even when I said I found her profoundly ugly did she seem to accept a change in our status. I wanted to break free from her, but she wouldn’t let me; no matter what I did, she wouldn’t take no for an answer.

“Why?” I kept wondering. Was her motive love or pure whim? Not that I really cared, I just felt curious. I had never felt so powerful before; there I was, being demanded by a woman who was absolutely unwilling to let me go. This was uncanny, this woman must have been out of her mind.

However, there was something which prevented me from departing from her, maybe her madness, or her legs. Whether it was one or the other, I couldn’t put my finger on it. The thing is that she got pregnant and we got married and we had four kids and she decorated the house and she made friends with my mum and she takes the kids to school and she prepares breakfast for me every day and she sleeps in my bed and she makes love to me. Every night.